I purposefully kept back some of the “Ideal for Halloween” spooky trees so I could make a colourful salad the next day for lunch. Lunch is when I can try out wierd and wonderful things on myself and my ever-compliant, even enthusiastic son. Not that this salad is wierd…and it is definitely wonderful!
- As many colourful cruiferous veg as you can lay your hands on: Broccoli, white cauliflower, purple cauliflower, romanesco broccoli, cabbage, purple cabbage, even some purple kale.
- Grated carrot
- Red onion, chopped (optional)
- Handful of raisins
Dressing: I had some cashew cream in the fridge- all was well.
I used one cup of cashew cream which is roughly equivalent to:
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked for a few hours, and drained.
- 2/3 cup water (160 mls) or a tad more
…blended in the liquidiser into a smooth creamy “sauce”.
To this I added:
- 3 T apple cider vinegar (white wine vinegar/rice vinegar etc)
- 2 T honey
- 1 T curry powder
- 2 T nutritional yeast powder (optional..but not for me 🙂 )
- 1/4 t salt (I wanted to add more…trying to cut down a bit)
- 1/4 t cumin (ground)
Taste test, and tweak to your personal taste.
This is a very filling kind of salad and could definitely just be lunch, or, serve atop a jacket potato, or (if you have chopped it well enough) inside a wholewheat wrap? I don’t know about your children, if you have them, but I would never get this past my girls, but Isaac is still at the eat-everything-without-question age, so, hooray, we shared! And there was some spare for my eat-almost-anything-without-question husband!
They say to try and eat some cruciferous veg every day, so I reckon if you eat this, you are good till Tuesday 🙂