I am so in love with fat. It’s that silky mouth-feel. When I make my broccoli salad, it is VERY generously doused with the creamy cashew dressing. An avocado blended with an orange, lemon juice and salt is silky-smooth green bliss on a bowl of leaves. Extra virgin olive oil is also an important part of my salad moments for simplicity and flavour. (Oh yes- and chocolate!! I love you!!- Nurturing, healthy chocolate recipes (two varieties) here and here)
Here is why I champion home-made fat-based plant-food dressings:
- Your dressing is a part of your home-made, nature-grown salad, so why not make your dressing too?
- You feel all mother-earthy. Especially if you grew your own salad (I am not very good at this part)
- It lifts the salad to something even more special. It’s a mouth-feel thing.
- You are more likely to eat lots of raw salad veggies and leaves if it is a delicious, yea, even seductive experience.
- Our body needs healthy fats and they HELP our heart and cardiovascular health.
- It aids considerably in the absorption of certain vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Several studies that I have seen indicate this.
- It adds wonderful flavour- extra virgin olive oil is SO delicious. The first time I ever saw six children tuck enthusiastically into salad every day was in Spain – I swear, the secret is the the Olive oil! Hola Rebeca! 🙂
- All plant foods contain “phytochemicals” not found in animal products, which have endless immune-strengthening and disease fighting properties
- Because this is “Loving Leaves”- when have I ever promoted sour cream over an avocado forgoodnesssake ?!
- I am not going to go into the ethical issues with the dairy industry, but my opinion is a cashew or avocado dressing is way more compassionate. I think we should try to think about where our food comes from and what is really behind it. Not saying I always do, but I believe it is something we all need to do more.
That said, I think it’s a big picture thing….and everyone has different tastes. If a sour cream based dressing helps you eat a gosh-darn big plate-a-greens for lunch, then who am I to cast aspersions? That said, have you tried this “Ranch dressing” recipe here? Helloooo seductive mouth-feel!!
And so I bid you farewell for another day…..And in closing: Several people have had trouble commenting on the site. I have looked again at the comment facility and it looks like they have simplified it now, and you shouldn’t have too much trouble.
Also, if you wish to receive updates by email, click on the right hand side where you see this:
Receive new Loving Leaves posts by email
Click to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. “Sign me up!”
If you ever tire of the leaves, you can unsubscribe, or simply send me to the Spam folder.
But please don’t do the latter.
Oh, the shame!!!